Website Bristol Community College
Maintainer III (First Shift)
Department: Administration and Finance-Facilities
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Sep 22, 2021
Closes: Oct 2, 2021 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 137152
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Maintainer III (First Shift)
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Custodial Maintenance
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Maintainer III oversees, schedules, and performs buildings and grounds work for all Bristol Community College campus locations. Responsibilities include but are not limited to supervision, scheduling, and participating in campus office moves; cleaning of building interiors; and ensuring standards of safety. The Maintainer III works cooperatively with various college departments and areas, such as but not limited to Trades, Events Scheduling, and Business Services to complete duties. The position will be primarily based in Fall River with required travel to work at other Bristol locations. This position will be considered essential personnel and expected to be available during off-hours, as needed, to respond to weather-related emergencies and high-visibility events, such as Commencement.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in preparing work standards for unit and help to plan, organize and direct the day-to-day work of the custodial personnel at all Bristol locations.
• Coordinate the activities of the custodial personnel to ensure effective operations and compliance with established standards; perform custodial duties as required.
• Confer with management staff and others to plan and review work project, resolve problems and exchange information.
• Work closely with Business Services in facilitating office moves and furniture requests.
• Collaborate with the Events Scheduling office to facilitate event set-ups.
• Stay informed of the whereabouts of employees and status of work assignments.
• Serve as essential personnel, requiring duties such as but not limited to being on campus during snow and weather-related emergencies.
• Maintain necessary records, such as inventory records, maintenance records and records of hours worked.
• Inspect equipment and tools for wear and tear and prepare work orders for repair of equipment.
• Inspect interiors of buildings for cleanliness and state of repair and make reports on conditions found.
• Assign work using electronic means, such as but not limited to Facilities Management Maintenance Software (FMMS).
• Utilize Bristol vehicles to travel to all Bristol locations.
• Serve as backup to Assistant Director of Custodial Maintenance and Director of Buildings and Grounds as required to facilitate meetings and assignments for custodial personnel.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in building custodial or institution housekeeping work; or greenskeeping, landscaping, groundskeeping, park maintenance or tree maintenance work, of which (B) at least one year must have been in a supervisory capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below:
I. An Associate or higher degree with a major in forestry or landscape architecture may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of supervision.
• Knowledge of the methods followed in building custodial, maintenance, groundskeeping and storekeeping work.
• Knowledge of the types and uses of materials, tools and equipment used in building, maintenance, groundskeeping and storekeeping work.
• Knowledge of the various methods used in transporting goods, materials and equipment.
• Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in building maintenance, custodial, groundskeeping and storekeeping work.
• Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand tools used in building maintenance such as pliers, hammers, wrenches, etc.
• Knowledge of the standard procedures followed in the storage of building custodial and cleaning materials.
• Knowledge of the methods and techniques used for the security of buildings and property.
• Skill in the use of small hand tools used in building maintenance, such as pliers, hammers, and wrenches, and hand-held power tools, such as drills, chain saws, and hedge trimmers.
• Skill in the use of a variety of motorized equipment, such as snow blowers, lawn mowers, forklifts, dollies, rototillers, etc.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Physical stamina and endurance, including the ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
• Ability to work as essential personnel during snow and other weather-related emergencies.
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates and available resources; and determining subordinates’ training needs and providing or arranging for such training.
• Exercise sound judgment.
• Work in a team setting.
• Coordinate the efforts of others in accomplishing the assigned work objectives.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
• Understand and apply the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing Facilities activities.
• Follow and give verbal and written instructions.
• Climb and work on ladders and scaffolding.
• Understand and apply the procedures and guidelines governing Facilities activities.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Current Massachusetts hoisting license.
• Demonstrated experience in a college or similar educational institution.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain calm in stressful and emergency situations and be flexible to respond to last minute changes.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• Experience with facilities maintenance management software (FMMS), such as SchoolDude.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a full-time, state funded, AFSCME, unit-classified position with benefits.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 6:00 a.m. – 2:30p.m.; overtime as required. This is an essential personnel position.
CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION: https://www.mass.edu/shared/classificationspecs/specspers/Maintainer%20Series.doc
SALARY: AFSCME Unit II, Grade 13, Step 1 $40,650.48 annually. Appointments from outside the bargaining unit begin at Step 1.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants for 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume.
3) A cover letter which explains why you are interested in this position.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2516507
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.