Website Bristol Community College
Technical Assistant II (part-time)
Department: Academic Affairs-STEM
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Nov 2, 2021
Closes: Dec 3, 2021 – 11:59 PM EST
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 138862
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Technical Assistant II (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
REPORTS TO: Dean of STEM and Veterinary Health Care Program Coordinator
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted, up to 12 hours per week position. This position typically works during the academic year (September through May).
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Technical Assistant II for Animal Sciences is responsible for, but not limited to, assisting students in both lab and clinical settings.?The Technical Assistant II safely and humanely restrains animals during activities, aids in lab set up and clean up, coordinates schedules with site facilities, and assists with administrative functions, as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Safely and humanely restrain animals during class activities.
• Create and maintain a positive learning environment.
• Set-up site visits and prepare needed supplies.
• Set-up and break down lab activities.
• Aid in evaluating students and assess clinical skills.
• Provide supportive administrative functions, as needed.
• Assist in review of program needs.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
Applicants must have at least (A) one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in technical work supporting research, instructional or experimental activities or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An associate’s or higher degree with a major in a directly related scientific or technical field such as biology, botany, chemistry, computer science, electronics, horticulture, physiology, zoology, etc. may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Follow written and oral instructions.
• Read and interpret documents.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
• Give oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Operate standard laboratory equipment.
• Prepare written reports and to present facts clearly both orally and in writing.
• Understand and apply the laws, rules, policies and procedures governing assigned unit activities.
• Collect and analyze data.
• Supervise students in a clinical setting, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of students and available resources; determining students’ training needs and providing or arranging for such training; and motivating students to work effectively.
• Knowledge of:
• Animal handling techniques.
• The fundamental principles and of the laboratory procedures utilized in teaching and conducting research in biology, biochemistry, botany, chemistry, horticulture, microbiology, physiology or zoology.
• The safety practices and procedures used in connection with laboratory work, including the proper disposal of laboratory materials.
• The terminology and standard abbreviations used in laboratory work.
• Mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity.
• Must submit to a background check (including a CORI/SORI) as a condition of employment
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Demonstrated work experience in clinical settings, handling and restraining a variety of animal species.
• Demonstrated experience in teaching/training students.
• Veterinary Technician credentials.
• Ability to make decisions independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Proven technological proficiency, which may include Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• Experience with standard veterinary diagnostic techniques and equipment, venipuncture, inventory and recordkeeping.
• Experience with veterinary software such as, but not limited to, Cornerstone and AVImark.
• Certification in Pet First Aid and/or other clinical skills.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
SALARY: $20.85 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Applications submitted within 10 calendar days of the posting date will receive priority consideration.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2608661
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.