Website Bristol Community College
Academic Coordinator (up to 2 positions available)
Department: SSEM – Student Success Center
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Nov 10, 2021
Closes: Dec 10, 2021 – 11:59 PM EST
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 139304
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Academic Coordinator (up to 2 positions available)
DEPARTMENT: Student Success Center/Advising – Fall River – Student Services & Enrollment Management (SSEM)
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Student Success Center and Director of Advising
POSITION STATUS: This is an MCCC/MTA, full time, grant funded, unit position with benefits. Some nights and weekends will be required during peak registration periods. This position will be primarily located at the Fall River location. This position is subject to grant appropriations; the position is currently funded through June 30, 2022 with the opportunity for renewal.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Academic Coordinator role is a key member of the Student Success Center and Advising departments, directly serving students and their families in their successful educational pursuits at Bristol Community College. The Academic Coordinator provides academic and non-academic proactive advising to a prescribed caseload between 100 and 250 students, through a holistic case management model, focused on clear career and transfer pathways and connecting students to on and off campus resources designed to support their success.
Working closely with the Student Success Center, the Academic Coordinator’s caseload will reflect students who are most at-risk for non-persistence at the college, which will include populations such as, but not limited to: students of color, students on academic warning/probation, students returning to Bristol after an academic dismissal or other leave of absence, and students with documented disabilities. The Academic Coordinator will work closely with Student Success Coaches to transition students back into the Bristol community and be a valued member of each students’ success team. Academic Coordinators will be expected to work collaboratively with campus partners across the college, including but not limited to Admissions, Financial Aid, the Office of Disability Services, and the Library Learning Commons.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide academic and non-academic proactive advising for an assigned caseload of up to 250 students through individual, group, and online sessions. Advising caseload is subject to fewer advisees given assignment of special projects.
• Support at-risk students by coordinating developmental support programs and services in collaboration with staff from Student Services and Enrollment Management and Academic Affairs.
• Guide students through connections between academic programs and career and/or transfer goals, in collaboration with key members of the SSEM staff, utilizing important data from current labor market and academic program transferability.
• Maintain regular communications with advisees via email, phone, face-to-face appointments in-person or via video, or various social media platforms.
• Utilize Bristol’s Early Alert system to assess progress of students, and follow-up with students and faculty on Early Alert warnings.
• Utilize additional software applications for engagement and efficiency, including electronic degree audits within Degree Works, online forms within Dynamic Forms, and management of the student record through Banner.
• Assist the Director and Associate Director with the design and implementation of new advising and coaching initiatives.
• Maintain professional knowledge and standards by participating in ongoing professional development activities on and off campus.
• Work collaboratively across the college to ensure shared governance, transparency, and assessment practices while helping to move the college towards comprehensive and innovative solutions to meet the evolving needs of the Bristol community.
• Attend and participate in Student Success Center, Advising, SSEM, and all-college meetings, as well as related meetings assigned by the Director or Associate Director.
• Perform assigned responsibilities at all Bristol locations, including some nights and weekends, during peak periods, to reflect student and family needs.
• In collaboration with Financial Aid, counsel students and appropriate family members on available financial aid opportunities and assist them through the FAFSA and verification process.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, Sociology, or a closely related field, such as student personnel or higher education.*
• Minimum of five years of experience and/or training that includes academic advisement, academic placement, counseling, career development, or program/project management.*
• * An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience shall be considered.
• Demonstrated ability to implement technological solutions in the delivery of proactive academic advising services.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 business software (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Strong written and verbal communication, including interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated understanding of higher education principles, practices, and procedures.
• Ability to work occasional evening hours and weekends during established peak periods.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or work-sites as required.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Related experience piloting or implementing innovative strategies related to academic advising, tutoring, or student support.
• Professional experience working with student information systems, including Banner and Degree Works.
• Demonstrated experience supporting underserved and educationally disadvantaged populations, as well as students in need of developmental education.
• Demonstrated experience coordinating and/or participating in new student orientation and/or first-year experience initiatives.
• Willingness to engage in continuous improvement and ongoing learning.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
SALARY: Minimum hiring salary $64,615 – Labor Grade 6 – actual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience and in accordance with the https://mccc-union.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/69/2020/05/MCCC_BHE_Day_Contract_2018-2021-final.pdfhttps:/mccc-union.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/69/2020/05/MCCC_BHE_Day_Contract_2018-2021-final.pdf. Please refer to the New Hire Tables in the CBA for more information.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants for 30 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2633841
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.