Website Bristol Community College
Department: Administration and Finance-Business Services
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Jul 6, 2021
Closes: Jul 16, 2021 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 133217
About Bristol Community College:
Join the Bristol community for work and life!
Bristol Community College (Bristol) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! Bristol is one of the largest employers in the South Coast region and is dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment with a rich diversity of beliefs, cultures, languages, abilities, and lifestyles. Committed to enriching its educational experience through a supportive community, Bristol actively encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply and achieve our vision to change the world by changing lives, learner by learner. Our employees work collaboratively across the college to ensure the practice of shared governance and transparency in helping to move the college towards comprehensive, innovative solutions, and to empower and meet the needs of our always evolving Bristol community. If you share a passion for helping a diverse student body succeed and enjoy a fast-paced, inclusive, and gratifying work environment, Bristol is the employer for you!
As a Commonwealth of Massachusetts employer, Bristol offers benefitted employees a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability, retirement, flexible spending, and paid time off (vacation, personal, sick, and holiday pay). Tuition waiver discounts for Bristol and the Commonwealth’s public higher education institutions are available for benefitted positions and certain non-benefited positions. Non-benefited positions are eligible for a retirement fund, paid time off (sick pay), as well as savings plans (available to all non-student employees). More information can be found on our http://bristolcc.edu/bristolcommunity/facultystaff/humanresources/benefits/.
POSITION TITLE: Buyer I
DEPARTMENT: Purchasing and Business Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Purchasing and Business Services
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Buyer I will serve as a team member of the Purchasing and Business Services department for the college, and will be responsible for, but not limited to, specifying, sourcing, bidding, analyzing, and procuring goods, services, contracts for building maintenance, labor and materials, construction bid processing, etc., in compliance with college policies and federal and Commonwealth of Massachusetts laws and regulations. The Buyer I will develop, recommend, implement, and interpret appropriate college policies and procedures; ensure best-value procurements for the college; utilize databases to secure vendors and quotes; and work closely with the fiscal area and provide purchasing support for departments college-wide. They also act as the department liaison with college offices, employees and students.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Review requests submitted by college employees for purchases in order to determine compliance with established procedures.
• Provide technical assistance and advice to college employees, vendors, etc. in order to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
• Act as a liaison with vendors and college employees.
• Prepare written purchasing documents such as but not limited to requests for expenditures, purchase orders, requests for proposals and contracts.
• Reconcile purchasing functions, including online purchasing.
• Utilize national and state contract databases to secure vendors and quotes.
• Participate in bid openings.
• Collect data for college inventory and prepare related reports.
• Assist in proper handling and reporting of surplus property.
• Provide coverage for Business Services and other areas such as Campus Card Office, Copy Center, Shipping/Receiving, Mailroom and Facilities.
• Support the college’s sustainability efforts and assist with reporting.
• Provide updated information for the college’s Purchasing web page.
• File records in accordance with standard filing procedures.
• Obtain information concerning materials, supplies and equipment by reviewing technical literature, participating in professional organizations, interviewing vendors, visiting vendor facilities, attending product demonstrations and obtaining samples.
• Work independently and in conjunction with a team on special nonrecurring and/or ongoing projects.
• Operate standard office equipment including but not limited to a computer, printer, copier and fax machine.
• Use the college’s Management Information System (MIS) software, including but not limited to Banner, Wasp (inventory track software), and School Dude.
• Participate in committee/council assignments and professional development.
• Collaborate with the college’s diverse faculty, staff and student body and ensure equitable best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants must have at least (A) one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional or paraprofessional experience in purchasing work, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
An Associate or higher degree with a major in business administration or business management may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of purchasing, including contract negotiation and preparation.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or work-sites as required, including workshops, purchasing meetings, and professional development.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Understand, explain and apply college policies and Federal and Commonwealth of Massachusetts laws and regulations, specifications, standards and guidelines related to purchasing supplies, materials, services and equipment.
• Give and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Deal tactfully with others.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Work independently and exercise sound judgment, as well as adjust to changing situations to meet changing program or production requirements.
• Read and interpret documents such as contracts, bids, specifications, etc. and prepare general reports.
• Work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
• Associate degree or higher preferred.
• Demonstrated work experience in a higher education setting.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications (Word, Excel), Banner, Wasp, as well as willingness to learn new software applications.
• Demonstrated knowledge of managing and tracking inventory assets.
• Familiarity with Massachusetts General Laws that pertain to the contracting process for public works and public construction/renovation projects.
• Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official (MCPPO) certification.
• Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.) certification.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position, which may include but is not limited to the ability to move from room to room and to apply inventory tags to various equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a full-time, state funded, AFSCME, unit-classified position with benefits.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION: http://www.mass.edu/shared/documents/classificationspecs/specspers/Buyer%20Series.doc
SALARY: AFSCME Unit I, Grade 15, Step 1 $44,390.06 annually. Appointments from outside the bargaining unit begin at Step 1.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants for 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
Bristol Community College is an http://www.bristolcc.edu/about/policiesdisclosureslegalstatements/consumerpolicies/equalopportunitynon-discriminationnotice/. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
ABOUT BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Bristol has core values rooted in student success and lifelong learning. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Economic & Business Development area provides business solutions for organizations of all sizes and offers customized courses for individuals seeking educational and career pathways, including high school equivalency and English language proficiency programs. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts with locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton. Each location has something unique to offer from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and arts in downtown New Bedford, the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus. From city life to seaside, our locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, and Block Island.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2355276
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.