Website Bristol Community College
Peer Mentor (part-time)-College Access
Department: SSEM-College Access
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Jun 7, 2022
Closes: Jun 30, 2023 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 148652
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Peer Mentor (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: College Access
PRIMARY LOCATION: Fall River. This position may be eligible for a hybrid telework schedule in line with the college’s telework policy and with the use of appropriate technology.
REPORTS TO: Academic Coordinator, College Access
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The goal of the Early College Peer Mentor program is to provide dual enrollment students with knowledgeable guides and positive peer role models. Working closely with an Academic Coordinator in College Access, Peer Mentors will serve their fellow students through one-on-one outreach as well as participate in group events for all mentors and mentees. There will also be opportunities to connect with a variety of offices on campus.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, outreach to fellow students through a variety of technological means, attendance and participation in specialized mentor and mentee events and workshops, and presence on campus and/or virtually for the student(s).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist mentees in using the Bristol Mobile App to access information and services.
• Document student interactions on a regular basis in accordance with the reporting process outlined by College Access staff.
• Maintain an understanding of Bristol resources and offices on campus in order to make appropriate referrals to these services.
• Assist in organizing mentoring networking events and other student success workshops as needed; attend events and workshops as requested.
• Meet bi-weekly with an Academic Coordinator to discuss topics such as: outreach documentation, mentoring strategies, mentee questions/concerns/challenges, and updates on Bristol resources.
• Keep all information on students confidential; adhere to FERPA.
• Attend all training sessions and meetings.
• Submit electronic timesheet in Self Service Time & Attendance (SSTA) weekly, or paper timesheet, if required for payroll purposes.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must be a currently enrolled Bristol Community College student in good academic standing.
• Must have completed at least one semester at Bristol.
• Must have completed the online New Student Orientation.
• Effective communication skills and the ability to explain concepts to others clearly.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Must have reliable transportation to and from the Fall River campus.
• As of January 3, 2022, the 15 Massachusetts Community Colleges, including Bristol Community College, require all employees to comply with the COVID-19 vaccination policy. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record requirements or to apply for a reasonable accommodation will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Demonstrated familiarity with Bristol resources available to students.
• Experience working with college students and/or the communities we serve.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted position. Peer mentors may work up to a maximum of 10 hours per week during the school year.
Peer Mentors are hired on an as needed basis.
SALARY: $15.50 an hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button.
THIS POOL IS VALID THROUGH JUNE 30, 2023, AT WHICH TIME APPLICANTS SEEKING TO REMAIN IN THE POOL MUST REAPPLY AND UPDATE THEIR INFORMATION.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume.
3) A cover letter which explains why you are interested in this position.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3257251
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.