Website Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA)
Public Transit Authority for the State of RI
The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) is recruiting Internally and Externally for one (1) or more positions of Mechanic. All applicable CBAs will apply when considering internal applicants.
Position Title: Mechanic
Salary Range: $50,668.80 to $67,558.40 Annually
Posting Period: February 11, 2021 through June 30, 2021
Union Affiliation: Amalgamated Transit Union, Division 618 (ATU 618)
Bargaining Unit Selection Criteria will be applied.
Reports To: Mechanical Foreman
Description of Work:
Troubleshoot transit coaches and Authority equipment to ascertain faults to determine and perform corrective action. May perform routine preventive maintenance inspections. Perform service and repair on road calls. Uses test equipment, including electronic engine and transmission diagnostic equipment and shop tools common to the trade. Uses service manuals and publications to determine technical information. Must have knowledge of heavy-duty air brakes system, S Cam and hydraulic brakes. Isolate and repair electrical problems. Performs engine tune-ups and replaces components such as generators, starters and power trains. Evacuate and recharge air conditioning systems, change tires and other work as required. Maintains and prepares maintenance related records and repair orders.
Mechanic positions could be assigned to day, evening or night shifts as well as weekends and/or holidays based on choose-up. As well, the position could be assigned to Elmwood, Newport and/or Paratransit facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must have knowledge of mechanical repair procedures and applying that knowledge to assess a repair or mechanical problem and determine the proper work procedures necessary to fix the problem;
- Must have expert knowledge in theory and application of the following systems:
- Hand tools, heavy-duty air brakes system, S. Cam, compressed air systems, drive lines, and transmissions;
- Electrical systems including charging and starting system;
- Electronic diagnostic troubleshooting;
- Steering, front axle lubrication, suspension and cooling systems;
- Four stroke cycle diesel engines;
- HVAC system;
3. Ability to refer to, read and interpret service manuals, wiring diagrams, and/or other technical publications;
4. Ability completing written repair orders legibly for jobs performed;
5. Must be computer literate;
6. EPA 609 Freon Recovery Certification required;
7. Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position, nor are they intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High School Diploma or equivalency, and/or a graduate through an accredited technical school, or documented equivalent work experience.
- Valid CDL Driver’s License with Passenger, Air Brake and General Knowledge endorsements required; OR applicant must be able to qualify for CDL permit with said endorsements prior to beginning employment;
- EPA 609 Freon Recovery Certification required;
- Prior related experience would be helpful. Must be able to work closely with other employees;
- Must be able to fluently communicate both verbally and in writing with RIPTA staff;
- Must be able to supply own set of tools and tool chest.
OR: any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
- Performs within prescribed guidelines in accordance with departmental policies/practices.
- Refers more complex situations to other appropriate individuals.
- Applicant will be required to pass an oral interview and/or written test;
- Applicants may be required to demonstrate the ability to create a Word document and use e-mail;
- Applicant will be required to submit a Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) from their state of residence to Human Resources when a conditional offer of employment has been made;
- Applicant will be required to pass a nationwide criminal background check to be conducted by RIPTA;
- Applicant must provide RIPTA copies of licensure and/or certifications required to perform job duties prior to appointment;
- Applicant is required to undergo pre-employment testing including drug and alcohol screening and DOT pre-employment fitness for duty exam;
- Applicants claiming Military status should submit a copy of the DD-214 form;
- Internal applicants will be subject to evaluation of their personnel file to determine eligibility and suitability for the position; to include but not limited to review of attendance, training, education, job qualification skills, commendations and disciplinary history;
- In the event that two or more internal applicants within the same bargaining unit are determined to be “equal” after completion of the interview process, seniority will be the determining factor for purposes of ranking the eligibility list from which appointments will be made.
This position is covered by the ATU Local 618 Labor Agreement. All current employees who apply will be considered before outside applicants. Final selection of equally qualified applicants will be subject to the terms and provisions of such Agreement including, but not limited to, Section 1.8.
Interested applicants should submit their resume, certification copies and employment application to the Human Resources Department at 705 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI 02907 no later than Wednesday, June 30, 2021. To apply on-line visit www.ripta.com/careers. Telephone calls regarding application status will not be accepted.
RIPTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority that no employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com