Website Bristol Community College
Communications Dispatcher I (part-time, evenings)
Department: Administration and Finance-Campus Police and Preparedness
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: May 2, 2022
Closes: May 12, 2022 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 147052
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Communications Dispatcher I (part-time, evenings)
DEPARTMENT: Campus Police
PRIMARY LOCATION: Fall River
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted, up to 18.5 hours per week position. This position works an evening shift schedule.
REPORTS TO: Chief of Campus Police and Preparedness or designee
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Communications Dispatcher I receives emergency and law enforcement related communications, as well as other inquiries, from the public via various communications devices including, but not limited to, telephones, radio broadcast systems, computerized panic alarm systems, cellular communications, and computerized messaging systems. The Communications Dispatcher I will communicate effectively and efficiently via these various communication devices to coordinate the activities of Campus Police Officers, and neighboring agencies, such as police, fire and EMS, on a variety of different emergency and disaster situations. This individual will respond to requests for information from law enforcement agencies, relative to criminal histories and records checks. They are also responsible for monitoring all emergency alarms, utilizing the campus surveillance camera system, and providing general assistance to all members of the Campus Police department and the greater college community.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Handle all requests to Campus Police via walk-in, telephone, cell phone, emergency callbox, or radio broadcast system; process requests by distributing or extracting pertinent information, routing the call to the proper person, or dispatching the proper resource.
• Monitor all emergency alarms on campus, including but not limited to panic alarms (computer and telephone), emergency callbox, door, fire, and crisis alert.
• Utilize and monitor the college’s surveillance camera system to assist in emergency situations, investigations, and daily activity reports.
• Operate the Blackboard door access system to control all campus exterior doors and remotely control building access when deemed necessary.
• Utilize computer-aided dispatch and report writing systems to accurately document all situations, such as interactions with the public, personal information, criminal charges, officer activity, assisting agencies, and any other relative information.
• Utilize Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS), National Crime Information Center (NCIC), Openfox, Mass Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) web and other electronic data gathering tools to obtain information regarding suspects, offenders, victims, and witnesses.
• Transmit to and receive information from Campus Police Officers and staff via radio broadcast system, telephone and cell phone, radio scanner, and internet/local area networks.
• Aid shift supervisors to bring closure to all open calls and reports as directed.
• Complete clerical assignments as needed in conjunction with Campus Police personnel, as well as other dispatchers and clerical staff.
• Attend and complete all dispatch training courses required by the department.
• Maintain an organized work system/work space to allow for business continuity in case of absence.
• Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must successfully pass and maintain CJIS Operator certification within first 30 days of employment.
• Demonstrated computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• As of January 3, 2022, the 15 Massachusetts Community Colleges, including Bristol Community College, require all employees to comply with the COVID-19 vaccination policy. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record requirements or to apply for a reasonable accommodation will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Use proper English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
• Read, write and comprehend the English language.
• Understand, apply, and explain the provisions of laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
• Communicate effectively, including speaking clearly and distinctly.
• Work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
• Remain calm and professional in stressful and emergency situations.
• Exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling confidential information.
• Deal tactfully with others.
• Adjust to changing situations to meet emergency requirements.
• Gather information through questioning individuals and accurately assemble and organize such information in accordance with established procedures.
• Follow written and verbal instructions.
• Work independently.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn electronic systems, such as computer aided dispatch and records management systems, Mass Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS), computerized alarm monitoring systems, and computerized door access control systems.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask using a variety of database systems and lines of communication in the Campus Police Dispatcher Center.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
SALARY: $18.41 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants for 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3049711
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.