Administrative Assistant II
Website Bristol Community College
Administrative Assistant II
Department: Academic Affairs-Health Sciences
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: May 24, 2023
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 162760
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! Bristol is dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment with a rich diversity of beliefs, cultures, languages, abilities, and lifestyles. Committed to enriching its educational experience through a supportive community, Bristol actively encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply and achieve our vision of advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner. If you share a passion for helping students succeed and enjoy working in a community of innovative, inclusive, and collaborative colleagues, Bristol is the place for you!
As a Commonwealth of Massachusetts employer, Bristol offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability, retirement and paid time off (vacation, personal, sick, and holiday pay). We also offer tuition waiver discounts at the Commonwealth’s public higher education institutions. More information can be found on our http://www.bristolcc.edu/bristolcommunity/facultystaff/humanresources/benefits/.
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant II
DEPARTMENT: Health Sciences/Nursing/Academic Affairs
PRIMARY LOCATION: Fall River
REPORTS TO: Dean, Health Sciences or designee
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Student employees and part time clerical staff, as assigned.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Administrative Assistant II provides administrative support to the Nursing program in the Health Sciences academic area, including but not limited to the Dean, Health Sciences, the Director, Nursing, and the area faculty and staff. The Administrative Assistant II also provides oversight for part-time clerical staff, work study students, and acts as the area liaison with other college offices, personnel, and students. Typical duties include managing the daily operations of an academic office, providing on-going training, preparing and analyzing reports, supporting faculty, and providing administrative support to Health Sciences/Nursing leadership, among other duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage the daily operations of the academic office and provide backup support for another Administrative Assistant II in Health Sciences as necessary.
• Oversee and coordinate the activities of student employees and part-time clerical staff, as assigned, in connection with the preparation and maintenance of reports, records, and documents.
• Provide ongoing on-the-job training for employees, including direct and indirect reports.
• Operate standard office equipment including computer, printer, copier, fax machine, etc.
• Process weekly attendance reports for area faculty and staff.
• Manage the online ordering, maintenance, and distribution of office supplies, as well as procurement of other external resources through the college’s selected vendor(s).
• Process hiring forms, such as but not limited to Personnel Action Forms, timesheets, adjunct faculty requests, computer and telephone access, etc.
• Prepare mass mailings to students, advisory boards, and regional partners.
• Provide administrative support to committees chaired by Health Sciences/Nursing leadership.
• Provide assistance for academic area sponsored events, including working nights and weekends as necessary.
• Provide all clerical support for grants within the area.
• Schedule meetings; coordinate reservation of facilities, audio visual needs, and other support.
• Provide clerical support for all program reviews and accreditation activities for the area.
• Provide support for processing student documentation as required by programs (e.g. Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI)/Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI), immunization records, and/or drug screening).
• Use software applications, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook) to create documents.
• Provide support to Health Sciences/Nursing leadership in tracking area budgets, including processing various budget forms, request for expenditures, budget modifications, and travel vouchers.
• Analyze reports to make recommendations to Health Sciences/Nursing leadership concerning assigned academic area; reports may include budgetary items, course scheduling considerations, enrollment, etc.
• Use college’s Management Information System (MIS) software, including but not limited to Banner and Argos, to run various reports, semester course schedules, faculty teaching schedules, class rosters, etc.
• Create spreadsheets to compile statistical data for internal/external reports using the college’s software.
• Follow up on missing book orders, missing grades, and enrollment verifications for area courses, as needed.
• Distribute messages and mail to area faculty.
• Provide assistance to adjunct and full-time faculty at all locations (e.g., help with rosters, grades, syllabi, etc.).
• Oversee and follow up on the final exam and student evaluation processes.
• Provide support to interdisciplinary programs coordinated by area faculty or staff.
• Collect and process tentative faculty schedules.
• Collect College Service and Student Advisement evaluation materials.
• Collect and return syllabi and log office hours reports for full-time and adjunct area faculty.
Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate or higher degree with a major in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required experience.*
II. An Associate or higher degree with a major other than in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
NOTE: Educational substitutions will only be permitted for a maximum of two years of the required experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of supervision.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management, including customer service and problem solving skills.
• Knowledge of the methods of general report writing.
• Demonstrated skills in the use of software applications and computer equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Exercise sound judgment.
• Supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates, and available resources; determining subordinates’ training needs and providing or arranging for such training; and motivating subordinates to work effectively.
• Exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures.
• Determine proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
• Deal tactfully with others.
• Work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Minimum of an Associate degree.
• Demonstrated experience working in a higher education environment.
• Demonstrated experience supervising employees, preferably in an office environment.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Office365, Banner, and Argos.
• Demonstrated experience analyzing data and preparing reports in order to support decision making.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a full-time, state funded, AFSCME, unit-classified position with benefits.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, 37.5 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may occasionally be required.
CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION: https://www.mass.edu/shared/classificationspecs/specspers/Administrative Assistant Series.doc
SALARY: AFSCME Unit 1, Grade 17, Step 1 $52,906.62 annually. Appointments from outside the bargaining unit begin at Step 1.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants for 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4217880
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.