Website Bristol Community College
Chief Human Resources Officer
Department: Human Resources
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Mar 3, 2022
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 143202
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Chief Human Resources Officer
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
PRIMARY LOCATION: Fall River; this position may be eligible for a hybrid telework schedule in line with the college’s telework policy.
REPORTS TO: President of Bristol Community College
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Human Resources department staff members, student workers and volunteers
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Chief Human Resources Officer serves on the President’s Leadership Team, and provides direction and strategic leadership to help the college best serve our students and community. This senior leader is responsible for enhancing organizational effectiveness and developing and improving systems, policies and procedures that increase employee engagement, satisfaction and institutional success. The Chief Human Resources Officer, among other factors, fosters an equitable and inclusive workplace culture and establishes collaboration, mutual respect among union and administration, shared governance, innovation and accountability, while ensuring that Bristol Community College is a great place for students to learn and employees to work.
The Chief Human Resources Officer has overall leadership and supervisory responsibility for leading, planning and managing the college’s human resources functions in accordance with the policies, procedures, and practices of the college and in compliance with all applicable laws and labor contracts. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to; talent acquisition and management, succession planning, employee and labor relations, benefits and wellness, compensation, performance and organizational management, employee training and development, human resources information systems, and evaluation of the human resources operation and needs.
The work of the Chief Human Resources Officer is informed by Bristol’s Equity Statement: Bristol Community College strives to promote equity by removing social and structural barriers through social justice advocacy, support services, and inclusive, affirming, and accessible education and employment. We respect all cultural backgrounds, social identities, and learning abilities and promote the positive self-efficacy of each college community member. Bristol provides opportunities for dialogue, engagement, and growth by creating a welcoming and respectful environment to work and learn. Additionally, we provide a framework for promoting access and equity for all by challenging and empowering each member of our community to become an agent of transformative change by denouncing racism, hate, violence, and all forms of discrimination.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Support and promote the college’s strategic mission, vision and values.
• Actively participate in the college’s strategic and operational planning process by developing, prioritizing and executing strategic human resources goals and objectives.
• Function as a strategic consultant, coach and advisor to the executive/senior management of each area regarding key organizational and management issues.
• Consult and coach college leadership on a broad range of matters related to employee needs and human resources focus.
• Address the ongoing challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on college operations, as well as the well-being and safety of its employees.
• Lead the operations and administration of all human resource functions and direct and implement all college initiatives and projects associated with a comprehensive administration of the Human Resources department.
• Hire, supervise, develop, and lead Human Resources staff to provide excellent employee and labor relations and provide responsive, innovative services for employees. Conduct regular performance evaluations to ensure continuous improvement and identify potential opportunities for growth. Develop staff capabilities and expectations.
• Maintain current knowledge of and interpret, implement and comply with federal, state, local laws and labor contracts that affect the human resources functions of the college, including mandatory training requirements.
• Understand the college’s role within the Massachusetts community college system and work collaboratively with the Massachusetts community college’s general counsel on legal matters related to college employees and the human resources operation.
• Ensure a diverse faculty and staff by developing a culture of equity, inclusion, and accessibility through the development of college policies, procedures and professional development. Support the college’s Affirmative Action Officer on strategic efforts involving EEO, Affirmative Action, and ADA.
• In collaboration with the President, oversee the work of the Title IX & Equity Compliance Officer on compliance, employment practices and recruitment efforts for employees.
• Support the collective bargaining process, oversee the administration of collective bargaining, and ensure compliance with contractual agreements, including grievance procedures. Work with union representatives to ensure a collaborative working relationship.
• Direct the periodic review, revision, and general maintenance of position classifications, salary ranges, benefits, and job descriptions (compensation strategy).
• Ensure the effectiveness of employee onboarding, professional development (training), and engagement and recognition programs, to provide all employees opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
• Ensure that supervisors and college leaders consistently administer college policies and procedures related to human resource management, are advised on personnel matters, and are supported in developing a culture of accountability, shared governance, innovation and employee engagement.
• Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of the college.
• Conduct research, collect data, provide analysis and prepare reports relevant to the college’s human resources operation.
• Oversee the maintenance of systems to process human resources transactions and maintain employee files and records, as well as the technology that provides the college’s client services function.
• Prepare and manage the annual budget for Human Resources.
• Serve on appropriate committees and contribute to special projects as necessary.
• Serve on the President’s Leadership Team and attend a variety of college and external activities, some that occur in the evenings or on weekends.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Promote a positive and inclusive work environment that supports the professional growth of staff while fostering a commitment to service excellence.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum of eight (8) years of human resources leadership experience, with at least four (4) years of recent experience as a senior human resources professional.
• Demonstrated progressive experience in leadership/management level positions throughout career.
• Demonstrated knowledge of principles, practices, and laws of human resource management including position classification, salary/benefits administration, recruitment and hiring practices, training and development, employee/labor relations, development of policies and procedures, performance management, Title IX and Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity.
• Demonstrated skill in negotiation, conflict management, contract management and change leadership.
• Demonstrated experience with human resources strategic planning, research, evaluation and benchmarking, as well as reporting and record management.
• Demonstrated experience recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and achieve timely and high-quality results. Attention to detail is a priority.
• Understanding of HRIS systems and the use of these systems to manage and improve HR practices.
• Knowledge and application of various state and federal regulations.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications and virtual meeting platforms.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and organizational skills.
• Excellent conflict management skills.
• A professional style that builds strong, trusting relationships with employees and fosters a spirit of innovation and continuous improvement within an organization.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• Ability to work occasional nights and/or weekends.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• As of January 3, 2022, the 15 Massachusetts Community Colleges, including Bristol Community College, require all employees to comply with the https://www.bristolcc.edu/together/vaccinationpolicyforemployees/. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record requirements or to apply for a reasonable accommodation will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in human resources or related field.
• Relevant human resources certification(s) such as SPHR/PHR, SHRM-CP/SCP, HRCI, CCP, CPC.
• Demonstrated experience working in a higher education environment, with preference for public higher education.
• Demonstrated success working in a collective bargaining environment that values shared decision-making and collaboration.
• Demonstrated success leading a human resources department of a large, complex organization.
• Experience developing and evaluating Affirmative Action plans.
• Project management skills and experience leading process improvement initiatives.
• Experience implementing leading-edge best practices in human resources management, including employee onboarding and succession planning.
• Robust understanding and demonstrated inclusion of access, equity and student success practices.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a full-time, non-unit position with benefits.
SALARY: Hiring salary $125,000 – $145,000, commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Applications submitted within 10 calendar days of the posting date will receive priority consideration
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
4) Those interviewed will be required to present an 8-10-minute presentation on a topic of the committee’s choice.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3143104
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.