Website Bristol Community College
Special Programs Coordinator, Student Success Coach (up to 2 positions available; grant-funded)
Department: SSEM – Student Success Center
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Nov 17, 2021
Closes: Nov 27, 2021 – 11:59 PM EST
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 139545
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Special Programs Coordinator, Student Success Coach (up to 2 positions available; grant-funded)
DEPARTMENT: Student Success Center/Student Services & Enrollment Management
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Student Success Center
POSITION STATUS: This is an MCCC/MTA, full time, grant funded, unit position with benefits. This position is subject to grant appropriations and is currently funded through June 30, 2022. This position may be reevaluated for future considerations.
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Peer Mentors and Work Study students as assigned.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Special Programs Coordinator, Student Success Coach provides, among other functions, individualized support and advocacy to students with identified barriers to help them succeed in the pursuit of their academic goals. This is accomplished through a holistic case management approach that utilizes data to maximize outcomes. The Special Programs Coordinator provides intentional and equitable support to help students navigate a network of internal and external resources. Their duties will include, but are not limited to, assisting the student in developing self-advocacy and interpersonal communication skills, as well as providing defined student action plans that will support their personal, social, academic, and financial goals. This position will be primarily based in Fall River, with required travel to other campus locations as business needs dictate.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in the implementation of a case management model to provide holistic support services to students who have stopped out of the college or are at risk of stopping out.
• Proactively identify students who may be at risk for stopping out or not returning back to classes during their next desired term.
• Responsible for accurately responding to inquiries about the Student Success Center from students, staff and the community in a courteous and professional manner through telephone, email, social media, personal communication, or other appropriate means; schedule appointments as appropriate.
• Offer students solutions to overcome barriers to retention and/or registration.
• Initiate the process of career and academic planning by collaborating with Admissions, Academic Advising, Financial Aid, Student and Family Engagement and other key departments within the college.
• Process tasks associated with intake applications, advising processes, financial aid applications, verifications, reports, and other forms.
• Assist with the development and implementation of a peer mentor program for identified students.
• Promote the use of AccessBCC by guiding students through its various functions such as submitting forms, registration, payments, financial aid tracking status and student academic statuses.
• Resolve students’ challenges by clarifying issues; researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions; implementing solutions to aid with persistence; and escalating unresolved problems.
• Serve as a liaison to faculty, staff, and community members in response to student needs.
• Facilitate an intentional hand-off of caseloads to an assigned Academic Coordinator ensuring a seamless transition for students.
• Develop, assess and facilitate intentional student success programming, including leadership, social, and educational programs.
• Collaborate with all departments to ensure an overall student-focused approach to support. Maintain files and records, in compliance with FERPA and institutional records retention policies.
• Understand all college policies and procedures and articulate them to students as they relate to their enrollment status.
• Actively use student success management systems, such as but not limited to Banner, DegreeWorks and Slate.
• Anticipate and meet all student needs accurately, professionally and with a commitment to customer satisfaction.
• Responsible for working across the college with various teams, building customer relationships, and on other special projects, as necessary.
• Promote a positive and inclusive work environment that supports the professional growth of staff while fostering a commitment to service excellence.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions and work collaboratively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology, Business Administration, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other field related to area of assignment.*
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience and/or training involving area of assignment, which may include college registration, academic advisement, career development, career experience, training, curriculum development, audio/visual or graphic production, grant administration, budget development, program/project management, event planning, administrative work in an academic environment, or personal computer operations*
• *An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience shall be considered.
• Demonstrated ability to inform and guide others by applying principles of counseling in addressing specific situations, which may be complex and highly sensitive.
• Demonstrated ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
• Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service.
• Must be flexible and willing to assist during peak times of registration rotating between in-person and virtual customer service duties.
• Availability to work some nights and weekends as needed.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in student affairs, counseling, psychology, sociology, social work, or related field.
• Experience successfully planning, executing and evaluating programs and initiatives.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Banner Student Information Systems.
• Demonstrated experience working in higher education, with a preference for experience working at a community college.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English, with a preference for Spanish or Portuguese.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
SALARY: Minimum hiring salary $52,754 – Labor Grade 4 – actual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience and in accordance with the https://mccc-union.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/69/2020/05/MCCC_BHE_Day_Contract_2018-2021-final.pdfhttps:/mccc-union.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/69/2020/05/MCCC_BHE_Day_Contract_2018-2021-final.pdf. Please refer to the New Hire Tables in the CBA for more information.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Applications submitted within 10 calendar days of the posting date will receive priority consideration.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2649483
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.