Website Bristol Community College
Library Assistant 1 (Part-Time)
Department: Academic Affairs-Library Learning Commons
Locations: Fall River/Taunton/Attleboro/New Bedford, MA
Posted: Aug 28, 2023
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 166742
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! Bristol is dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment with a rich diversity of beliefs, cultures, languages, abilities, and lifestyles. Committed to enriching its educational experience through a supportive community, Bristol actively encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply and achieve our vision of advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner. If you share a passion for helping students succeed and enjoy working in a community of innovative, inclusive, and collaborative colleagues, Bristol is the place for you!
As a Commonwealth of Massachusetts employer, Bristol offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability, retirement and paid time off (vacation, personal, sick, and holiday pay). We also offer tuition waiver discounts at the Commonwealth’s public higher education institutions. More information can be found on our http://www.bristolcc.edu/bristolcommunity/facultystaff/humanresources/benefits/.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Library Assistant I assists with access services functions of the Library Learning Commons (LLC) primarily at the Fall River campus library, but may occasionally be required to provide coverage at the Attleboro, New Bedford, or Taunton campus libraries. The basic purpose of this work is to aid in the maintenance, preparation, distribution, and lending of library books and other materials, among other duties. Being an integrated Library Learning Commons, the Library Assistant I will also assist users with making tutoring appointments and provide information about tutoring locations and services, among other duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform circulation desk procedures, such as but not limited to checking in and checking out materials, registering patrons, and collecting fines.
• Work a set schedule of hours, which may include evenings and weekends, at one or more campus locations as assigned.
• Assist students with making tutoring appointments; inform and explain tutoring services, including but not limited to online and drop-in tutoring.
• Assist with access services functions, which could include but are not limited to the physical processing of books, DVDs, and other library materials; interlibrary loan and document delivery processes; preparing and maintaining course reserves; or maintaining and processing the serials collection.
• Aid LLC users in locating and using materials.
• Monitor the borrowing of materials.
• Verify the proper location of books and materials.
• Aid LLC patrons by responding to directional inquiries, material location inquiries, and inquiries regarding LLC rules and procedures. * * * Distinguish between such inquiries and research-related inquiries, which are to be referred to the Reference librarian.
• Perform inventory; verify proper location of books and other LLC materials by searching the LLC for misplaced items; retrieve books as requested; and place books and other materials in their proper location to facilitate use and accountability.
• Assist with preparing the LLC in one or more sites for reopening, which includes but is not limited to packing, unpacking, shelving books and office materials and shifting collections.
• Support LLC patrons with photocopier, printer, microform reader, scanners, Live Scribe pens, and other library and assistive technology.
• Repair books and other materials to prolong use as needed.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
Demonstrated ability to:
* Work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
* Assemble items of information according to established procedures.
* Communicate effectively in oral expression.
* Deal tactfully with others.
* Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others
* Follow verbal and written instructions.
* Maintain accurate records.
* Maintain a consistent work schedule.
* If assigned to work at multiple sites, must have reliable transportation to campus locations.
* Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as business needs dictate.
* Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
* Familiarity with online catalog, copy machine, and/or computers.
* Demonstrated experience in an academic or public library setting
* Basic understanding of the Koha online catalog used at HELM libraries or previous experience with an online circulation system.
* Experience with tutoring, tutoring software, such as TutorTrac, or online platforms.
* Familiarity with Live Scribe pens and other assistive technology.
* Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications.
* Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted position, up to 18.5 hours per week with some evenings and weekends required.
SALARY: $19.63 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The interview process will begin 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Bristol Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, TitleVII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s Title IX Officer, Emmanuel Echevarria at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or 774.357.2682; the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination; the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4547830
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.