Website Bristol Community College
Library Assistant I (part-time)
Department: Academic Affairs-Library Learning Commons
Locations: Taunton, MA
Posted: Jul 26, 2022
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 150800
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Library Assistant I (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Library Learning Commons
PRIMARY LOCATION: Taunton
REPORTS TO: Reference Librarian
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Library Assistant I assists with access services functions of the Library Learning Commons (LLC) primarily at the Taunton Center. The basic purpose of this work is to aid in the maintenance, preparation, distribution, and lending of library books and other materials. Being an integrated Library Learning Commons, the Library Assistant will also assist users with making tutoring appointments and provide information about tutoring locations and services, among other duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform circulation desk procedures, such as but not limited to checking in and checking out materials, registering patrons, and collecting fines.
• Work a set schedule of hours, which may include evenings and weekends, at one or more campus locations as assigned.
• Assist students with making tutoring appointments; inform and explain tutoring services, including but not limited to online and drop-in tutoring.
• Assist with access services functions, which could include but are not limited to the physical processing of books, DVDs, and other library materials; interlibrary loan and document delivery processes; preparing and maintaining course reserves; or maintaining and processing the serials collection.
• Aid LLC users in locating and using materials.
• Monitor the borrowing of materials.
• Verify the proper location of books and materials.
• Aid LLC patrons by responding to inquiries and providing information concerning materials that best match users’ interests and needs, LLC rules and procedures, and facilities; suggest and explain the proper methods of locating and using materials to facilitate patrons’ use of the LLC.
• Assist with circulation policies, such as contacting patrons with overdue materials; forwarding overdue notices; and recording fines.
• Perform inventory; verify proper location of books and other LLC materials by searching the LLC for misplaced items; retrieve books as requested; and place books and other materials in their proper location to facilitate use and accountability.
• Assist with preparing the LLC in one or more sites for reopening, which includes but is not limited to packing, unpacking, shelving books and office materials and shifting collections.
• Support LLC patrons with photocopier, printer, microform reader, scanners, Live Scribe pens, and other library and assistive technology.
• Repair books and other materials to prolong use as needed.
• Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• As of January 3, 2022, the 15 Massachusetts Community Colleges, including Bristol Community College, require all employees to comply with the http://https//www.bristolcc.edu/together/vaccinationpolicyforemployees/. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record requirements or to apply for a reasonable accommodation will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
• Assemble items of information according to established procedures.
• Communicate effectively in oral expression.
• Deal tactfully with others.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others
• Follow verbal and written instructions.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Maintain a consistent work schedule.
• Work nights and/or weekends as business needs dictate.
• Work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty and staff.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Familiarity with online catalog, copy machine, and/or computers.
• Demonstrated experience in an academic or public library setting
• Basic understanding of the Koha online catalog used at HELM libraries or previous experience with an on-line circulation system.
• Experience with tutoring, tutoring software (such as TutorTrac), or online platforms.
• Familiarity with Live Scribe pens and other assistive technology.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted, up to 18.5 hours per week position, some nights and weekends required.
SALARY: $19.63 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled.. Applications submitted within 15 calendar days of the posting date will receive priority consideration.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3288613
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.