Website Bristol Community College
Non-Credit Instructor – English Language Arts
Economic & Business Development Instructors
Department: EBD – Economic & Business Development
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Feb 13, 2023
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 159041
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! Bristol is dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment with a rich diversity of beliefs, cultures, languages, abilities, and lifestyles. Committed to enriching its educational experience through a supportive community, Bristol actively encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply and achieve our vision of advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner. If you share a passion for helping students succeed and enjoy working in a community of innovative, inclusive, and collaborative colleagues, Bristol is the place for you!
As a Commonwealth of Massachusetts employer, Bristol offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability, retirement and paid time off (vacation, personal, sick, and holiday pay). We also offer tuition waiver discounts at the Commonwealth’s public higher education institutions. More information can be found on our http://www.bristolcc.edu/bristolcommunity/facultystaff/humanresources/benefits/.
POSITION TITLE: Non-Credit Instructor – English Language Arts (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Economic and Business Development/Adult Education
PRIMARY LOCATION: The current opportunity is for an in-person teaching position on the Fall River campus. This is for an English Language Arts instructor who specializes in evidence-based reading instruction at the high school level. Classes run Tuesday and Thursday, 5:30pm – 9:00pm, with additional time for preparation and planning and required attendance at monthly afternoon staff meetings.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: March 2023
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Adult Education
STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Adult Education (AE) instructors provide instruction for adults and out-of-school youth in basic skills upgrading, high school equivalency preparation, and college and career readiness. Assignments may include, but are not limited to, teaching High School Equivalency Preparation at the adult basic level (ABE) to the adult secondary level (ASE). Instructors are responsible for maintaining student assessment results and tracking student progress throughout the year. Instructors will meet with students to define and update goals. The Instructor participates in the development and implementation of program curriculum that addresses the AE College and Career Readiness Standards and integrates employment skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare and instruct students who have a variety of learning styles, with appropriate level materials and teaching strategies, in a face-to-face and/or remote/distance learning environment.
• Provide instruction using evidence-based reading practices.
• Prepare students for academic and career pathways.
• Develop a syllabus and daily lesson plans based upon assigned classes, program curriculum, and instructional priorities.
• Integrate digital literacy into curriculum and instruction.
• Use educational software and equipment as warranted.
• Conduct appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes.
• Participate in goal setting and goal follow-up with individual students.
• Maintain appropriate attendance and student performance records.
• Assist with student placement, registration, and orientation as needed.
• Collaborate with staff to assist students in achieving their personal education and career goals.
• Participate in staff/program meetings.
• Engage in annual professional development activities related to professional standards and program goals to advance teaching skills and strategies.
• Assume responsibilities for additional educational projects related to the program.
• Complete required college trainings such as, but not limited to, Title IX, FERPA, Bloodborne Pathogens and Information Security.
• Demonstrate professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.*
• Minimum of two years of experience working with students from diverse educational and ethnic backgrounds in an instructional setting.*
• *An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience shall be considered.
• Demonstrated experience and education in English Language Arts instruction.
• Experience in providing individualized and group instruction to non-traditional students.
• Demonstrated ability to adapt teaching style and materials to meet the individual needs of students.
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and team-teach, if necessary.
• Demonstrated experience assisting students in meeting their education and career goals.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to integrate technology into the teaching and learning processes, which may include providing blended, online, and distance learning opportunities for students.
• Proven technological proficiency, which may include Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• Willingness to complete training in evidence-based reading practices.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree.
• Adult Basic Education (ABE) licensure or Secondary Teaching Certificate.
• Demonstrated ability to design and/or use blended learning models.
• Prior online teaching experience using a Learning Management System.
• Experience using evidenced-based practices in adult basic education.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted position. This position is subject to grant budget appropriations.
SALARY: $29.40 per hour.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Bristol Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, TitleVII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s Title IX Officer, Emmanuel Echevarria at mailto:email@example.com or 774.357.2682; the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination; the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Review of applications will begin 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4548673
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.