Website Bristol Community College
Peer Tutor, Writing Center (part-time)
Department: Academic Affairs-LLC Writing Center
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Aug 16, 2021
Closes: Jun 30, 2022 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 135362
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Peer Tutor, Writing Center (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Library and Learning Commons (LLC)/Writing Center
REPORTS TO: Coordinator of Learning Resources
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Peer Tutors for the Writing Center facilitate learning as a guide and coach to assist students in developing academic learning competencies to become successful, independent learners. The purpose of Writing Center tutoring is to assist students with developing their writing and reading skills across the curriculum. Peer Tutors integrate effective study and learning strategies to maximize the student’s potential for academic progress. Peer Tutors may be asked to participate in one-on-one, drop-in, group, and virtual tutoring sessions. They may also serve as Embedded Tutors or Peer-assisted Learning Leaders, if requested and if they meet the qualifications for those roles. Peer Tutors may be invited to work at multiple campus locations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist students with cross-disciplinary writing and reading assignments and integrate study and learning strategies to promote independent learning.
• Act in a professional manner and be sensitive to and respectful of the student’s learning and, if appropriate, personal needs.
• Be prepared and on time for each tutoring session, including but not limited to one-to-one, drop-in, group, or virtual tutoring formats.
• Keep all information on student confidential; adhere to FERPA.
• Work with the tutee to develop a tutoring plan that fits the student’s individual needs and encourages academic development and success.
• Work with the Writing Center Coordinator to assess the tutee’s progress throughout tutoring sessions.
• Input session notes in a timely manner into department’s record keeping system, such as TutorTrac.
• Attend monthly Writing Center staff meetings and other training sessions as required.
• Assist the Writing Center Coordinator with class visits and workshops as needed.
• Follow all Library Learning Commons/Writing Center procedures and policies; report critical issues to supervisor immediately.
• Refer tutees to other campus services or resources when appropriate.
• Submit electronic timesheet in Self Service Time & Attendance (SSTA) weekly, or paper timesheet, if required for payroll purposes.
• Complete required college trainings such as, but not limited to, Title IX, FERPA, Bloodborne Pathogens and Information Security.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Apply equity best practices throughout all job functions and work collaboratively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must have earned a B+ or higher in ENG 101 or an equivalent course.
• If a current Bristol student who has not completed their program, must maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
• Effective communication skills and the ability to explain concepts to others clearly.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications and Zoom.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022.
• Demonstrated familiarity with Bristol resources available to students.
• Demonstrated proficiency with TutorTrac or similar systems.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position in order to perform the essential functions listed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted position. Tutors are paid for scheduled appointments and drop-in hours, not to exceed 18.5 hours per week. Tutors are also paid for no-show appointments and same-day cancellations. This position may be subject to grant budget appropriations.
Peer Tutors are hired on an as-needed basis. Tutoring sessions may be offered in virtual or face-to-face formats in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and/or Taunton. Sessions may be held during the day, in the evening, and on weekends (Friday nights or Saturdays).
Due to COVID-19, this position may work remotely until further guidance is received from the college.
SALARY: $15.50 per hour. Tutors may be able to earn up to $17.00 per hour as they progress through the College Reading and Learning Association certification process to Master Tutor
Peer Tutors who achieve Master Tutor status and complete an Associate degree will earn $18.50 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button.
THIS POOL IS VALID THROUGH JUNE 30, 2022, AT WHICH TIME APPLICANTS SEEKING TO REMAIN IN THE POOL MUST REAPPLY AND UPDATE THEIR INFORMATION.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
A) Please enter an email address for an English-department faculty member (at Bristol CC or another college/university) who would be willing to recommend you as a Peer Tutor. The person will be directed to a recommendation form to complete on your behalf. Please enter an email address for an English-department faculty member (at Bristol CC or another college/university) who would be willing to recommend you as a Peer Tutor. The person will be directed to a recommendation form to complete on your behalf.
2) A writing sample that the applicant is most proud of or one that most challenged them as a writer. It can be any genre of writing and of any length.
3) Upon hire, candidate must supply college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are permitted). Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred (if applicable). Failure to provide transcripts may result in your appointment being revoked.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3154410
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.