Website Bristol Community College
Reference Librarian- Digital Services (part-time)
Department: Academic Affairs-Library Learning Commons
Locations: Taunton, MA
Posted: Dec 6, 2022
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 156614
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Reference Librarian – Digital Services (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Library Learning Commons
PRIMARY LOCATION: Taunton, with availability to serve at all campus locations as needs evolve
REPORTS TO: Director, Library Learning Commons or designee
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: As assigned, which may include Library Assistant I’s and Work Study students
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Reference Librarian – Digital Services Librarian is responsible for providing professional library reference services to community college students, faculty, and staff, primarily through the virtual Library Learning Commons (LLC) and through maintaining the LLC’s web presence, which provides access to all library resources. They will, among other duties, perform reference services, teach bibliographic instruction and information literacy, and assist researchers in use of print/electronic resources including online search services, internet, and networked information resources to face-to-face users at the Taunton Center. They will also assist with general management of the Taunton Center LLC and supervise staff as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Digital Services
• Manage the LLC website for content and organization, including timely updates of critical information; coordinate LLC staff to ensure content is accurate and updated.
• Identify, recommend, implement, and evaluate current and emerging technologies for the effective delivery of library services.
• Ensure the library website is in compliance with Bristol’s style, accessibility and security policies and standards, including for both desktop and mobile devices.
• Administer, manage, and train staff on the LibGuides content management tool and related Springshare software for the libraries.
• Provide graphical design for website slides and signage.
• Maintain the LLC’s social media presence, including but not limited to use of the Bristol app for communications.
• Provide general reference assistance to library users via multiple mediums including but not limited to: online chat, Bristol e-mail, Learning Management System (LMS), Zoom, and Teams.
• Assigned Location Services
• Provide general reference assistance and bibliographic instruction; conduct orientation sessions, tours, and classroom introductions regarding physical library services/resources.
• Compile statistics on usage of various library services/resources.
• Create and maintain library displays and exhibits, online and in the physical location.
• Participate in circulation desk activities, including checking materials in/out.
• Participate in development of library collection to support curricula, course requirements, and assignments of the college.
• Maintain professional knowledge of information and trends in library and related technology fields; recommend innovative ideas to connect students with information.
• Assist with use of library equipment.
• Organize assigned location’s Library and Learning Commons, including the physical space and daily departmental activities.
• Provide outreach to administration, faculty, staff, and students at assigned location about LLC resources and services.
• Hire, supervise, develop, and lead assigned staff. Conduct regular performance evaluations to ensure continuous improvement and identify potential opportunities for growth. Work closely with Human Resources to develop staff capabilities and expectations.
• Promote a positive and inclusive work environment that supports the professional growth of staff while fostering a commitment to service excellence.
• Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Library Science, Library & Information Science, or closely related field.
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience and/or training that includes library operations, library information systems, reference services, bibliographic instruction, circulation services, and cataloging.
• An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience shall be considered.
• Demonstrated proficiency creating SpringShare LibGuides.
• Demonstrated experience using social media for marketing or outreach.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: As of January 2022, candidates for employment should be aware that Community College students, faculty, and staff are required to be fully vaccinated. Accordingly, initial employment is dependent upon receipt and verification of full vaccination status records; details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the hire and onboarding process.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• Demonstrated proficiency integrating additional SpringShare platform components into library services, including LibGuides CMS, E-Reserves, and LibCal.
• Demonstrated proficiency using course learning management systems, preferably Blackboard.
• Demonstrated proficiency using Canva or similar graphical design software.
• Knowledge of online collaborative spaces, such as but not limited to Discord Server.
• Certification in instructional technology .
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English, preferably Portuguese or Spanish.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is an MCCC/MTA, part-time, non-benefitted, up to 18.5 hours per week unit position.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: January 2023
SALARY: $30.03 per hour.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Bristol Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, TitleVII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s Title IX & Equity Compliance Officer, Gia Sanchez at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or 774.357.2264; the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination; the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Review of applications will begin 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
4) A portfolio with examples of web page design using LibGuides and graphical design of your creation.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3791007
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.