Website Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA)
Public Transit Authority for the State of RI
The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) is recruiting internally and externally for one (1) position of Junior Accountant. All applicable CBA selection criteria will apply when considering internal applicants.
Position Title: Junior Accountant
Posting Period: January 5, 2022 through January 31, 2022
Salary Range: $46,764.05 to $58,455.06 Annual (Pay Grade 124)
Union Affiliation: Laborer’s International Union of North America, Local 808 (LIUNA, Local 808)
Reports To: Director of Accounting
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Summary of Position:
Under general direction, individual is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operations within the finance department. This includes payroll, accounts payable, and any other financial functions as needed. The Junior Accountant, General Finance is responsible for coordination and preparation of weekly payroll and related deductions, accurate maintenance of all employee files and records including electronically. In the absence of the payroll manager will be responsible for all payroll related tasks. This position is also responsible for assisting the Accounting Supervisor with managing the accounts payable process including the preparation of federal reimbursement request along with any other assignments. Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a positive cooperative attitude is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists payroll manager will all aspect of weekly payroll including deductions, reports, vacation and sick accruals, and tax payments;
- Prepares payroll reports for departments or employees when requested;
- Responds to employee authorized third party requests for information;
- Performs payroll related special projects when required including pay increases and retroactive pay calculations;
- Assists legal department with workers’ compensation payroll;
- Assists Accounting Supervisor with accounts payable including federal reimbursement requests through the FTAs electronic reimbursement system (ECHO);
- Coordinates as necessary with procurement and grants position to ensure expenditures are allocated to appropriate funding sources;
- Assists Accounting Supervisor with all other day-to-do financial tasks as needed;
- Assists with other department projects as needed;
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position, nor are they intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must possess a strong understanding of accounting principles (GAAP).
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to remain flexible when encountering tight time schedules and to effectively interact with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical and investigative skills, including the ability to research, analyze and reconcile financial data, and to make logical decisions using sound, independent judgment and common sense.
- Advanced Excel skills, word processing, knowledge of databases, and financial systems required.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration or related field;
- Must be a graduate of an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, or a related field.
- Minimum two years of general finance or accounting experience is preferred, recent graduates with internship experience will be considered;
- Experience with accounting/general ledger systems is helpful;
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel;
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills;
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team.
OR: any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
- Ability to independently plan, organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects and priorities with accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, follow directions well and follow through with assignments until completed.
- Interested applicants should submit their resume and written request to the Human Resources Department by due date;
- May be required to pass an oral interview and/or written/computer assessment;
- Applicant will be required to pass a nationwide full criminal background check to be conducted by RIPTA;
- Applicant will be required to submit a Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) from their state of residence to Human Resources when a conditional offer of employment has been made;
- Applicant must provide RIPTA a copy of any required licensure and/or certifications as needed to perform job functions, prior to appointment;
- Applicant must provide RIPTA a copy of degree and/or transcripts from accredited educational institution;
- Applicants claiming Military status should submit a copy of the DD-214 form;
- Seniority will be calculated as the final step in the process of selection in the event that any qualified applicants are determined to be “equal”.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, transcripts, certifications/licensure and RIPTA employment application no later than Monday, January 31, 2022. You may apply on-line at www.ripta.com/careers. Telephone calls will not be accepted regarding application status.
RIPTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority that no employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status and/or gender identity or expression.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org