Website Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA)
Public Transit Authority for the State of RI
The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) is recruiting for one (1) or more to the position of Paratransit Operator. This is an Amalgamated Transit Union, Division 618 (ATU 618) position.
Position: Paratransit Operator
Posting Period: July 3, 2021 through June 30, 2022
Salary: $34,216.00 to $42,764.80 Annually
Reports To: Flexible Services Division Superintendent
Union Affiliation: Amalgamated Transit Union Division 618 (ATU 618)
Bargaining Unit Selection Criteria will be applied.
Description of Work:
Under general direction, the Paratransit Operator is responsible for the safety and transportation of passengers and equipment per daily manifest in compliance with all applicable policies and regulations. Responsible for performing routine vehicle inspections and maintaining cleanliness and proper fluid levels. Collects designated fares from passengers following established policies, guidelines and procedures.
This is a full-time position within the Flexible Services Division. Hours can vary based on the needs of business; hours are not guaranteed. Must be able to work early morning, split or late evening shifts. Must be available on weekends and holidays as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists passengers entering and exiting van;
- Operates vehicle along assigned routes. Picks up passengers, collects and counts fares and protects revenue collected according to established procedures;
- Operates vehicle in compliance with all company policies and state traffic laws and regulations;
- Inspects vehicle (including, but not limited to, brakes, lights, doors, buzzers, tires, wheelchair lift, tie downs, and horn) to ensure serviceable condition. Keeps interior of vehicle neat and presentable to passengers (i.e. papers, etc.);
- Must be able to fluently communicate both verbally and in writing with RIPTA staff and passengers;
- Computer literacy required. Must be able to operate, read and understand information provided on a tablet to perform daily job duties;
- Responsible for the safety of passengers and equipment;
- Notifies the Operations’ Coordinator of any emergency, requesting additional assistance as needed; evacuates passengers if emergency situation warrants action;
- Prepares accident/incident reports as soon as possible as required by applicable policy;
- Maintains adequate knowledge of RIde system in order to provide routine information and direction to the public;
- Attends training sessions provided by RIPTA to ensure passenger and vehicle safety;
- Fuels vehicle and checks all fluid levels daily;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position, nor are they intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Two (2) years’ related experience preferred; previous experience with elderly and persons with disabilities preferred;
- Valid CDL Driver’s License with Passenger, Air Brake and General Knowledge endorsements required;
- Evidence of a clear driving record history required;
- Evidence of a clear Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) check;
- Must possess excellent customer relations’ skills and have previous experience with the elderly and persons with disabilities;
- High School Diploma or GED required.
OR: any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
- Performs within prescribed guidelines in accordance with departmental policies/practices.
- Refers more complex situations to other appropriate individuals.
- Interested applicants should submit their written request, resume and/or employment application to the Human Resources Department;
- Applicant will be required to pass an oral interview and written test;
- Applicant will be required to submit a Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) from their state of residence to Human Resources when a conditional offer of employment has been made;
- Applicant will be required to pass a nationwide criminal background check to be conducted by RIPTA;
- Applicant must provide RIPTA copies of licensure and/or certifications required to perform job duties prior to appointment;
- Applicants claiming Military status should submit a copy of the DD-214 form;
Internal applicants will be subject to evaluation of personnel file to determine eligibility and suitability for the position; to include but not limited to review of attendance, training, education, job qualification skills, commendations and disciplinary history;
- Seniority will be calculated as the final step in the process of selection in the event that any qualified applicants are determined to be “equal”.
This position is covered by the ATU Local 618 Labor Agreement. All current employees who apply will be considered before outside applicants. Final selection of equally qualified applicants will be subject to the terms and provisions of such Agreement including, but not limited to, Section 1.8.
To apply, interested applicants can visit www.ripta.com/careers to complete an on-line employment application by Thursday, June 30, 2022. Phone calls regarding application status will not be accepted.
RIPTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority that no employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status and/or gender identity or expression.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com