Website Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA)
Public Transit Authority for the State of RI
The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) is recruiting Internally and Externally for one (1) or more positions of Utility Worker. All applicable CBA’s will apply when considering internal applicants.
Position Title: Utility Worker
Posting Period: July 3, 2021 through June 30, 2022
Salary Range: $40,310.40 to $53,747.20 Annual
Reports To: Utility Foreman
Union Affiliation: This position is an Amalgamated Transit Union 618 (ATU 618) position.
Bargaining Unit Selection Criteria will be applied.
Effective January 29, 2016 through a Memorandum of Agreement between RIPTA and ATU 618, “Any employee that is hired or transferred into the Utility Worker position may not seek to transfer from that Department into any other Department until the employee has worked in the Utility Department for at least one (1) year from the date of their hire/transfer. Absences from work during this one-year period designated as unexcused, sick or disciplinary suspension will extend the one (1) year commitment by the time absent unless designated as FMLA or Worker’s Compensation. If the Utility employee is absent and the absence is not designated as FMLA or Worker’s Compensation, the one (1) year period shall be extended by the number of days absent.”
Description of Work:
The position of Utility Worker is responsible for assisting in all duties related to the upkeep of RIPTA vehicles and facilities. Duties include, but are not limited to, fueling buses; checking vehicle fluids and tire pressure; cleaning the exterior of the buses using the bus washer; detailed cleaning the interior of buses; assisting in the parts’ room in all aspects of cleaning parts; and performing all janitorial tasks at RIPTA facilities.
These positions could be assigned to day, evening, night, weekend and/or holiday shifts based on choose-up. As well, this position could be assigned to Providence or Newport based campuses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- May be assigned to vehicle fueling which includes driving bus through the fuel line. While the bus is being fueled, the Utility Worker checks the fluids, adding fluid if necessary; checks the tires and vacuums the interior of the vehicle. Upon exiting the fuel stand, drives the vehicle through the automatic vehicle washer;
- May be assigned to interior vehicle cleaning, which includes all aspects of the cleaning of the vehicle interior, including but not limited to dusting, sweeping, removing gum and graffiti, washing seats, doors, windows, wheelchair lifts;
- May be assigned to operate drive-on and hand-operated floor cleaning equipment;
- May be assigned as the Parts Washer, which includes all aspects of cleaning vehicle parts. Duties include, but are not limited to removing parts from the mechanical shop, placing them in the steam machine, removing them from the machine when the cycle is complete, hosing them down, air drying them and returning them to the mechanical shop;
- May use steam cleaning equipment to clean vehicle components or facilities;
- May be assigned to perform janitorial duties within RIPTA facilities. Such duties include but are not limited to, dusting, emptying trash and wastebaskets, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, cleaning and restocking restrooms and other areas of RIPTA facilities;
- Performs other building maintenance as assigned;
- Other related duties as assigned.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position, nor are they intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Valid CDL Driver’s License with Passenger, Air Brake and General Knowledge endorsements required; OR applicant must obtain CDL permit with said endorsements PRIOR to beginning employment.
- Must provide evidence of a clean driving record.
- Must have excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate fluently both verbally and in writing with RIPTA staff.
- Must have the ability to operate machinery including, but not limited to, vehicle washer, parts washer and vacuum cleaner.
- Must be able to check vehicle fluids and have basic knowledge of acceptable fluid levels. Must be able to perform job duties independently without constant supervision. Must be able to complete reporting forms as required by the Foreman.
- High School Diploma or equivalency.
Prior related experience would be helpful. Must be able to work closely with other employees. Must be able to work inside or outside depending upon job assignment.
OR: any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
- Performs within prescribed guidelines in accordance with departmental policies/practices.
- Refers more complex situations to other appropriate individuals.
- Must be able to regularly lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must be able to work outside during all weather conditions.
- Must be capable to work in elevated locations without fear of heights.
- Applicant will be required to pass an oral interview and/or written test;
- Applicants may be required to demonstrate the ability to create a Word document and use e-mail;
- Applicant will be required to submit a Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) from their state of residence to Human Resources when a conditional offer of employment has been made;
- Applicant will be required to pass a nationwide criminal background check to be conducted by RIPTA;
- Applicant must provide RIPTA copies of licensure and/or certifications required to perform job duties prior to appointment;
- Applicant is required to undergo pre-employment testing including drug and alcohol screening and DOT pre-employment fitness for duty exam;
- Applicants claiming Military status; should submit a copy of the DD-214 form;
- Internal applicants will be subject to evaluation of personnel file to determine eligibility and suitability for the position; to include but not limited to review of attendance, training, education, job qualification skills, commendations and disciplinary history;
- Seniority will be calculated as the final step in the process of selection in the event that any qualified applicants are determined to be “equal”.
This position is covered by the ATU Local 618 Labor Agreement. All current employees who apply will be considered before outside applicants. Final selection of equally qualified applicants will be subject to the terms and provisions of such Agreement including, but not limited to, Section 1.8.
To apply, interested applicants can visit www.ripta.com/careers to complete an on-line employment application by Thursday, June 30, 2022. Phone calls regarding application status will not be accepted.
RIPTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority that no employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status and/or gender identity or expression.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com