Website United Way of Rhode Island
Job Title: Senior Administrator, Staff Accountant
Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000
At a Glance:
EEOC Job Classification:
Granted Funded Date:
The Staff Accountant is responsible for performing a wide variety of accounting duties supporting United Way of Rhode Island programs. The person in this role requires the ability to take initiative, use independent judgment, support critical customer service to internal and external customers, and a high degree of organizational skills to proactively and successfully manage projects. Provide direct support to the Controller with limited direction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Cash Receipts (Electronic, Credit Card, and Paper): management and coordination of the Accounts Receivable invoicing and receipt system to ensure accurate and timely recording of the donor, grant receivable, and other payment activity all receipts. This includes processing and recording the daily banking activity, posting, and recording cash receipts, ensuring that the proper donor and general ledger revenue accounts are recorded for each payment transaction into the general ledger. Record and reconcile credit card donations and transaction/discount fees. Ensure general ledger and Andar (donor) database platforms reconcile for each cash receipt of donor payments. Apply grant payments to invoices and track the accounts receivable—preparation of GCRI deposits. Record deposits in daily banking spreadsheets and assist Controller with revenue projections.
Customer Relations and Records: process pledge payments in the Andar database and adjustments as needed. Process changes to donor/designated agencies account in general ledger and Andar (e.g., address changes, billing dates, and contacts). Work with Resource Development colleagues and Accounting Manager, Campaign to apply the prepaid payments to donor accounts promptly. Develop a working knowledge of the donor designation pay-out process to serve as a backup.
Monthly Andar Invoicing: responsible for accurate preparation and mailing of the monthly pledge billings statements to donors for workplace campaigns. Work with RD department on special billings.
Agency Portal – Responsible for the management of the UWRI agency portal information that is used by agencies to remotely obtain payment information and donor reporting for designation paid by UWRI to them.
Banking/Accounts Payable – Import and post AP invoices, print checks and process ACH vouchers. Prepare a positive pay file and upload the ACH file to the bank. Record payables in daily banking spreadsheets.
Balance Sheet Reconciliations: monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts as assigned.
Finance liaison for IT training: train new finance staff on software used by UWRI, including finance software, as well as donor software (Andar), Microsoft Teams, and other software.
Other Duties: Remote Deposit Capture and other duties as required by the Controller or CFO.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
5+ years experience in accounting (required)
Minimum of Associates Degree (preferred)
1-3 years of experience working with donors and/or customer service (preferred)
Andar experience a plus
Blackbuad NXT experience a plus
Non-Profit experience a plus
Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams)
Accuracy and attention to detail
Proactive and well organized
An individual with the utmost professional and personal integrity
Outstanding collaboration skills through effective communication
Personal values consistent with United Way mission
· demonstrate integrity by being accountable for actions, keeping commitments, and speaking honestly and truthfully with others
· demonstrate an enthusiasm for professional development acquiring new skills and knowledge to enhance role
· demonstrate a commitment to individual and team-based assignments
· demonstrate quality assurance by producing accurate and thorough work
· demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with others
· demonstrate valuing the diversity of others’ opinions and experiences
· demonstrate sound reasoning and good common sense
· demonstrate the ability to meet and exceed customer expectations
· demonstrate active participation in departmental, team, and full-staff meetings
· This job description is intended to convey the essential functions of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org