Website Bristol Community College
Professional Tutor – Subject-Based (part-time)
Department: Academic Affairs-LLC Writing Center
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Aug 19, 2021
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 135628
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Professional Tutor – Subject-Based (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Library and Learning Commons (LLC)
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean of Library and Learning Commons
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The part-time Professional Tutor will offer direct tutoring services to students and will participate in Library Learning Commons initiatives to help ensure delivery of quality academic tutoring services. The Professional Tutor will also participate in ongoing professional development opportunities. Duties may be carried out in-person, at one or more of Bristol’s locations, or virtually and may include day, evening, or weekend hours.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as a professional tutor to a diverse group of community college students.
• Aid students in developing both conceptual and practical approaches, as well as study skills to increase academic development and success.
• Tutor students in academic concepts and/or course material; integrate study and learning strategies to promote independent learning.
• Participate in professional development sessions and program meetings to assist and plan for college-wide tutoring as needed.
• Act in a professional manner and be sensitive to and respectful of the student’s learning and, if appropriate, personal needs.
• Be prepared and on time for each tutoring session, including but not limited to one-to-one, drop-in, group, or virtual tutoring formats.
• Work with the tutee to develop a tutoring plan that fits the student’s individual needs and encourages academic development and success.
• Keep all information on student confidential; adhere to FERPA.
• Document all tutoring sessions in department’s record keeping system, such as TutorTrac.
• Follow all Library Learning Commons/departmental procedures and policies; report critical issues to supervisor immediately.
• Refer tutees to other campus services or resources when appropriate.
• Submit electronic timesheet in Self Service Time & Attendance (SSTA) weekly, or paper timesheet, if required for payroll purposes.
• Focus on customer service protocols when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Complete required college trainings such as, but not limited to, Title IX, FERPA, Bloodborne Pathogens and Information Security.
• Apply equity best practices throughout all job functions and work collaboratively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.?
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in a field related to the area of tutoring assignment.
• Effective communication skills and the ability to explain concepts to others clearly.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Office 365 applications and Zoom.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Professional experience supporting students, teaching, or working in a higher-education environment.
• Community college tutoring or teaching experience.
• Demonstrated proficiency with TutorTrac or similar systems.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position in order to perform the essential functions listed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is an MCCC/MTA, part-time, non-benefitted, unit position. This position is paid for scheduled appointments and drop-in hours, not to exceed 18.5 hours per week. They are also paid for no-show appointments and same-day cancellations. This position may be subject to grant budget appropriations.
Professional Tutors are hired on an as needed basis. Tutoring sessions may be offered in virtual or face-to-face formats in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and/or Taunton. Sessions may be held during the day, in the evening, and on weekends (Friday nights or Saturdays).
Due to COVID-19, this position may work remotely until further guidance is received from the college.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button.
THIS POOL IS VALID THROUGH JUNE 30, 2022, AT WHICH TIME APPLICANTS SEEKING TO REMAIN IN THE POOL MUST REAPPLY AND UPDATE THEIR INFORMATION.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
• For each subject (math, biology, chemistry, psychology, etc.) that you are interested in tutoring, please enter an email address for someone with clear expertise in that subject who would be willing to recommend you as a Professional Tutor. The recommender(s) will be directed to a recommendation form that each must complete on your behalf.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2451109
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.