Website Bristol Community College
Laboratory Technician I, Phlebotomy (part-time)
Department: Academic Affairs-Health Sciences
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Jun 17, 2022
Closes: Jun 27, 2022 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 149194
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Laboratory Technician I, Phlebotomy (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Health Sciences
PRIMARY LOCATION: Taunton; other Bristol locations (Fall River, New Bedford, Attleboro) on a rotational basis
POSITION STATUS: This is a part time, non-benefitted, non-unit, up to 4 hours per week unit position. This position typically works 1-2 evenings per week. For summer 2022, the position is expected to work on Wednesdays.
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean of Health Sciences
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Laboratory Technician I works in the Phlebotomy laboratory to perform routine clinical laboratory tests; collect and prepare blood and other samples; give instructions in the use of laboratory techniques and equipment; prepare reports on laboratory findings; ensure biohazard and bloodborne pathogen safety, and perform related work as required.
The basic purpose of this work is to provide technical support services to Bristol students and employees in the performance of scientific and research experiments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare clinical specimens and instructional materials for students’ laboratory sessions.
• Assist faculty in the maintenance of supplies and instructional materials for students’ laboratory course components.
• Maintain the cleanliness and safety of laboratory according to established standards, utilizing procedures such as but not limited to disposing of contaminants, needles, sharps, and blood; washing and sterilizing glassware, and inspecting temperature control equipment to aid in the efficient and effective performance of tests or experiments.
• Assist instructor with classroom/laboratory materials management; ensure sufficient supplies and sanitation consistent with bloodborne pathogens protections.
• Monitor quality assurance and safety practices in the student laboratory and recommend corrective action when necessary.
• Maintain documentation and records of laboratory safety practices.
• Work with appropriate personnel in ensuring the proper identification, storage, handling and disposing of chemicals and medical waste.
• Perform general cleaning and organization of lab and prep room to ensure a safe working environment.
• Perform preventive maintenance on equipment as necessary.
• Coordinate and monitor equipment repair by outside vendors.
• Implement and maintain computerized inventory of supplies and equipment.
• Request pricing information and prepares departmental request for expenditures in accordance with current inventories and faculty requests.
• Provide input in preparation for the departmental budget.
• Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
Applicants must have at least (A) one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in laboratory work in a recognized clinical, medical, hospital, chemical, water quality, public health, biological, bacteriological, marine sciences or materials testing laboratory, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate degree or higher with a major in clinical laboratory science, medical technology, chemistry, bacteriology, food science and technology, environmental science, chemical or environmental engineering, wastewater technology, oceanography or the biological sciences may be substituted for the required experience.
II. The successful completion of one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, education toward a degree at a recognized medical or dental school may be substituted for the required experience.
III. The successful completion of training in a recognized school or hospital course or an American Medical Association (AMA) approved training program for laboratory technicians or medical technologists may be substituted for the required experience.
IV. Registration as a medical technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, the International Society for Clinical Laboratory Technicians or American Medical Technologists or as a bacteriologist by the National Registry of Microbiologists may be substituted for the required experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Manual dexterity.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• As of January 3, 2022, the 15 Massachusetts Community Colleges, including Bristol Community College, require all employees to comply with the COVID-19 vaccination policy. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record requirements or to apply for a reasonable accommodation will be provided during the onboarding process.
• .Knowledge of:
• General laboratory testing techniques and methods, including sample collection.
• Sanitation and sterilization methods, techniques and procedures followed in a laboratory.
• Proper methods used in the disposal of laboratory materials.
• Calibration and adjustment techniques as applied to laboratory equipment.
• Properties and characteristics of chemicals, acids and materials used in a laboratory.
• Techniques used in the handling and transportation of laboratory specimens.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Gather information through observing and questioning individuals and by examining records and documents.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Communicate effectively in oral expression and in writing.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
• Deal tactfully with others.
• Exercise sound judgment.
• Work in a team setting.
• Distinguish colors visually.
• Minimum of an Associate degree in Clinical Laboratory Science.
• Current Certification by the American Society for Clinical Pathology in either Clinical Laboratory Science or Phlebotomy.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English, with a preference for Portuguese or Spanish.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
SALARY: $24.28 per hour (as of July 1, 2022)
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Applications submitted within 10 calendar days of the posting date will receive priority consideration.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3161841
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.