Website Bristol Community College
Student Peer Mentor (part-time)
Department: SSEM – Student Success Center
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Sep 22, 2021
Closes: Jun 22, 2022 – 11:59 PM EDT
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 137148
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Student Peer Mentor (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Student Success Center
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of the Student Success Center
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Student Peer Mentors for the Student Success Center will serve as knowledgeable guides and positive peer role models to students who may be struggling to remain enrolled at Bristol for a variety of reasons. Working closely with Student Success Coaches, Peer Mentors will serve their fellow students through one-on-one outreach, as well as participate in group events for all mentors and mentees, among other duties. There will also be opportunities to work with a variety of offices on campus. Peer Mentors may work up to 10 hours per week during the academic year.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, outreach to fellow students through a variety of technological means; attend and promote specialized mentor and mentee events and workshops; and serve as an in-person presence at Student Services & Enrollment Management offices, such as but not limited to the Student Success Center, Multicultural Student Center, Veterans Center, Women’s Center, or Student and Family Engagement.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Regularly monitor the Bristol Mobile App to assist students with questions and offer support.
• Document student interactions on a regular basis in accordance with the reporting process outlined by Center staff.
• Maintain an understanding of Bristol resources and offices on campus in order to make appropriate referrals to these services.
• Assist in organizing mentoring networking events and other student success workshops as needed; attend events and workshops as requested.
• Meet weekly with an assigned Student Success Coach to discuss topics such as: outreach documentation, mentoring strategies, overall student concerns/challenges, and updates on Bristol resources.
• Keep all information on students confidential; adhere to FERPA.
• Attend all required training sessions and meetings.
• Submit electronic timesheet in Self Service Time & Attendance (SSTA) weekly, or paper timesheet, if required for payroll purposes.
• Focus on customer service best practices when working with Bristol community members, including faculty, staff, and students.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must be a currently enrolled Bristol Community College student in good academic standing.
• Must have completed at least one semester at Bristol.
• Must have completed the online New Student Orientation.
• Effective communication skills and the ability to explain concepts to others clearly.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Must have reliable transportation to and from the Fall River campus.
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022.
• Demonstrated familiarity with Bristol resources available to students.
• Experience working with college students and/or the communities we serve.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefitted position. These positions are subject to grant appropriations. Peer mentors may work up to a maximum of 10 hours per week during the academic year.
Peer Mentors are hired on an as needed basis. Due to COVID-19, this position may work remotely until further guidance is received from the college.
SALARY: $15.50 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button.
THIS POOL IS VALID THROUGH JUNE 30, 2022, AT WHICH TIME APPLICANTS SEEKING TO REMAIN IN THE POOL MUST REAPPLY AND UPDATE THEIR INFORMATION.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume.
3) A cover letter which explains why you are interested in this position.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3161857
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.