Website Bristol Community College
Tutor/Counselor, Upward Bound Program (up to 4 positions, temporary)
Department: SSEM-TRiO Programs
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Jun 7, 2021
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Temporary
Position ID: 131912
About Bristol Community College:
Join the Bristol community for work and life!
Bristol Community College (Bristol) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! Bristol is one of the largest employers in the South Coast region and is dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment with a rich diversity of beliefs, cultures, languages, abilities, and lifestyles. Committed to enriching its educational experience through a supportive community, Bristol actively encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply and achieve our vision to change the world by changing lives, learner by learner. Our employees work collaboratively across the college to ensure the practice of shared governance and transparency in helping to move the college towards comprehensive, innovative solutions, and to empower and meet the needs of our always evolving Bristol community. If you share a passion for helping a diverse student body succeed and enjoy a fast-paced, inclusive, and gratifying work environment, Bristol is the employer for you!
As a Commonwealth of Massachusetts employer, Bristol offers benefitted employees a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability, retirement, flexible spending, and paid time off (vacation, personal, sick, and holiday pay). Tuition waiver discounts for Bristol and the Commonwealth’s public higher education institutions are available for benefitted positions and certain non-benefited positions. Non-benefited positions are eligible for a retirement fund, paid time off (sick pay), as well as savings plans (available to all non-student employees). More information can be found on our http://bristolcc.edu/bristolcommunity/facultystaff/humanresources/benefits/.
POSITION TITLE: Tutor/Counselor, Upward Bound Program (up to 4 positions, temporary)
DEPARTMENT: TRIO Program
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Educational Talent Search & Upward Bound Program
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Upward Bound Program is a federally-funded program to assist college-bound high school students who are low income and/or will be the first generation in their families to enter college. The students, who are from Fall River public schools, receive rigorous academic instruction and advisement from the Tutor/Counselor to prepare for success in college.
The Tutor/Counselor will provide, among other duties, full-time college-preparatory tutoring and counseling for Math, English, Science or Foreign Language (subject matter will be assigned based on tutor’s knowledge) in a six-week residential or hybrid program, with an additional week for orientation. Please note that the program will be remote only, with periodic field trips, as a result of COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates will be notified at the time of interview if there are further changes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee students in academic and social activities.
• Assist with supervision of federal summer food program.
• Participate in workshops and meetings related to student academic, behavioral, and personal development.
• Document services and write student evaluations.
• Supervise field trips, recreational activities, and cultural events.
• Provide daily tutorial assistance in assigned subject area.
• Enforce all Upward Bound rules and regulations.
• Participate in all orientation/final weekend staff meetings and awards ceremony.
• Apply equity best practices throughout all job functions and work collaboratively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must be currently enrolled in a college/university or graduated with an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree within the past 5 years with tutoring, advising, or counseling experience.
• Demonstrated experience working with low income and first-generation youth.
• Demonstrated experience with coordination of student services.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, Zoom, Google, or similar digital platforms.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Must have access to a device with a camera to provide remote program support for program participants
• Experience with marketing and virtual meeting software, such as MailChimp, Zoom, Google Hangouts, and social media.
• Robust understanding and demonstrated inclusion of best practices focused on access, equity, student success, and high impact practices.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
POSITION STATUS: This is a temporary part-time, grant-funded, non-unit, non-benefitted position. The Upward Bound Program runs from June 28, 2021 through August 6, 2021, subject to change. Dates include additional orientation and program close-out days.
SALARY: $3,000, paid in biweekly installments for the duration of the program.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
Bristol Community College is an http://www.bristolcc.edu/about/policiesdisclosureslegalstatements/consumerpolicies/equalopportunitynon-discriminationnotice/. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
ABOUT BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Bristol has core values rooted in student success and lifelong learning. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Economic & Business Development area provides business solutions for organizations of all sizes and offers customized courses for individuals seeking educational and career pathways, including high school equivalency and English language proficiency programs. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts with locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton. Each location has something unique to offer from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and arts in downtown New Bedford, the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus. From city life to seaside, our locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, and Block Island.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2310673
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.