Website City of Newport, RI
City of Newport, RI
· Researches, develops, recommends, and executes creative strategies to foster the City’s diversity goals by collecting and analyzes statistical data to evaluate the City’s population in accordance with diversity standards and goals, reviewing current practices and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder the City’s diversity goals.
· Collects, analyzes and regularly reviews data concerning the recruitment, selection, and employment practices to determine if they are administered without discrimination and are active in seeking personnel from under-representative groups and recommends corrective measures when necessary; reports survey results, statistics, and recommendations for corrective action to appropriate stakeholders.
· Develops internal and external communications with regard to the City’s recruitment processes and creates and disseminates information for distribution of job descriptions and job postings while maintaining record-keeping procedures, audits and reporting of applicant information and demographics for Affirmative Action tracking in attempts to hire a diverse workforce population.
· In coordination with the Director of Human Resources, assists in drafting and implementing recruiting and hiring strategies to attract employees from diverse backgrounds while developing and/or acquiring training and development to aid diversity and retention initiatives; works collaboratively with City departments to facilitate recruitment efforts of individuals in protected classes.
· Provides guidance to the City’s supervisory staff in developing objective performance and other employee evaluations and practices.
· Acts as the City’s liaison with other government agencies, the City’s Affirmative Action Committee and external business partners concerning affirmative action and equal employment opportunities.
· Maintains knowledge of diversity-related issues, legislation, and best practices.
· Helps to create, implement, and maintain the City’s Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) program.
· Gathers, compiles, analyzes, and interprets data necessary for external (government) and internal EEO compliance, reporting, and monitoring. Data may include recruitment, hiring, terminations, promotions, disciplinary actions, salaries, applicant flows, and transfers.
· Plans, completes, and files required EEO-4 report and/or related affirmative action reports and documentation with government agencies; prepares and disseminates the Affirmative Action Plan and Policy, identifies of problem areas where under-representation exists or utilization deficiencies exist.
· Uses appropriate statistical software or tools to measure and monitor equal opportunity and affirmative action plan compliance; conducts outreach and engages in the services of local and State minority groups.
· Assists in addressing internal inquiries regarding civil rights and equal opportunity laws and regulations as appropriate while referring sensitive issues and concerns to the Director of Human Resources; ensures timely processing and review of complaints by coordinating, monitoring, and streamlining complaint procedures.
· Work cooperatively with the Director of Human Resources in designing and facilitating a training orientation program on the topics of diversity, equal opportunity, harassment/sexual harassment and discrimination. Additional training on related topics may be included on an as needed basis.
· Attends required staff meetings and serves, as appropriate, on staff committees when requested; represents the City at community, State, and professional meetings as requested by the Director of Human Resources.
· Acts as a liaison between the organization and external benefits providers and vendors, which may include health, dental, life and retirement plan providers.
· Assists with planning and execution of special events such as benefits enrollment, organization-wide meetings, employee recognition events, holiday parties, employee blood drives, United Way Campaigns and related activities.
· Performs complex administrative, secretarial and clerical work to support the Human Resources Department; maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation.
· Maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation.
· Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to the Human Resources Assistant or Director.
· Answers telephone, resolve problems and respond to inquiries, in person, electronically and by telephone, regarding departmental procedures and services; receives, refers and responds to visitors; assists and answers questions of the general public, public officials, department heads and staff. Responds appropriately or makes referrals as necessary.
· Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of all human resource files and records.
· May assist in conducting or acquires background checks, telephone reference checks, and employee eligibility verifications; may conduct or assist with new hire orientations.
· Performs periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
· Provides daily clerical support to the HR department and performs other related duties as assigned.
· Associate’s or higher degree supplemented by coursework to provide the experience necessary to conduct the essential functions of the position; Three to five years of experience working in a human resources office with an emphasis on EEO policies, plans, and programming required; Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy; Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills as well as exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail; Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as the ability to quickly learn payroll management, human resource information system (HRIS), and similar computer applications.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com