Website Bristol Community College
Administrative Assistant I
Department: SSEM – Student Success Center
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: Nov 9, 2021
Closes: Dec 9, 2021 – 11:59 PM EST
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 139222
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is a public community college accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and annually serves more than 11,000 credit students and 18,000 students who participate in noncredit activities. Bristol has core values rooted in collaboration, communication, inclusion, innovation, respect and student success. For more than 50 years, Bristol has served as a leading resource for education and economic development in the region. Bristol offers a rich variety of degree, certificate, and training programs along with flexible online offerings that lead to an associate degree, a career-ready certificate, or the ability to transfer to baccalaureate colleges throughout the state and country. Bristol’s Business Solutions & Partnerships area provides customized training for businesses and the community. The college also strives to put the needs of learners first with support services and career advancement opportunities that lead to student success by reducing barriers to educational access.
With locations in Attleboro, Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton, Bristol Community College is nestled in charming Southeastern Massachusetts. Each location has something unique to offer – from great restaurants in the city center of Attleboro, museums and history in downtown New Bedford, to the beautiful suburban landscape at the Fall River campus and the array of shopping and dining options in Taunton. From city life to seaside, Bristol Community College locations are in close proximity to bustling metro areas such as Boston and Providence, and centrally located to the spectacular beaches and coastline of Cape Cod, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
Bristol Community College provides an accessible, innovative and inclusive education that prepares students to navigate and succeed in our ever-changing world.
Advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner.
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant I
DEPARTMENT: Student Success Center/Student Services and Enrollment Management
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of the Student Success Center
POSITION STATUS: This is a full-time, grant funded, AFSCME, unit-classified position with benefits. This position is subject to grant appropriations; the position is currently funded through June 30, 2022 with the opportunity for renewal.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Administrative Assistant I is responsible for fulfilling administrative functions in the Student Success Center in order to support the needs of students, staff and external constituents in a manner consistent with the mission and vision of the college and in accordance with the polices of the Student Success Center. This position may also support other centers and offices within Student Support Services and Enrollment Management (SSEM) as needed. The central function of this position will be to ensure smooth and efficient office operations and to provide administrative, operational and organizational support for the Student Success Center, among other functions. This individual will typically be the first contact for office visitors, and thereby must provide professional, supportive and customer-focused service. They will be responsible for the collecting, recording and filing records and other confidential materials, among other duties. This position will be primarily based in Fall River, with occasional travel to other Bristol locations as necessary.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Support the day-to-day operations of the Student Success Center and its services; provide related support for other SSEM areas as needed.
• Schedule student appointments for Student Success Center staff and manage calendars as directed; coordinate reservation of facilities, audio visual needs, and other support.
• Provide excellent customer service when interacting with students, staff/faculty and the public or other Bristol constituents.
• Engage in operational record-keeping, as needed.
• Perform administrative tasks associated with department activities, including but not limited to responding to phone calls, emails, and in-person inquiries and assisting with completion of forms.
• Participate in promoting outreach programming.
• Provide logistical support to all Student Success Center events and other SSEM events as requested, including working nights and weekends as necessary.
• Assist with maintaining inventory levels of various office supplies and other program materials.
• Organize and prepare meeting agendas/minutes.
• Develop promotional materials in coordination with Marketing & Communications.
• Provide support in tracking budgets, including processing various budget forms, request for expenditures, budget modifications, and travel vouchers.
• Operate standard office equipment including computer, printer, copier, fax machine, etc.
• Manage the online ordering, maintenance, and distribution of office supplies, as well as procurement of other external resources through the college’s selected vendor(s).
• Provide administrative support to committees chaired by the Associate Director, as required.
• Maintain working knowledge of all departments located in Student Services and Enrollment Management; participate in ongoing cross training as needed to remain current on all policies and procedures.
• Create spreadsheets to compile statistical data for internal/external reports using the college’s Management Information System software.
• Use software applications, including Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook), to produce letters, reports, agendas, etc.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate or higher degree with a major in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for the required experience.*
II. An Associate or higher degree with a major other than in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Additional Required Qualifications:
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management, including customer service and problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge of the methods of general report writing.
• Demonstrated skills in the use of software applications and computer equipment.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• Bristol Community College is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 2022. Details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the onboarding process.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures.
• Determine proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
• Deal tactfully with others.
• Work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Work occasional nights and/or weekends.
• Minimum of an Associate degree.
• Demonstrated experience working in a higher education environment.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Office365, Banner, and Argos.
• Knowledge of state budgetary procedures.
• Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, 37.5 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may occasionally be required.
CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION: https://www.mass.edu/shared/classificationspecs/specspers/Administrative%20Assistant%20Series.doc
SALARY: AFSCME Unit I, Grade 15, Step 1 $44,390.06 annually. Appointments from outside the bargaining unit begin at Step 1.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants for 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2630055
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.