Non-Credit Instructor – English, Upward Bound Program
Website Bristol Community College
Non-Credit Instructor – English, Upward Bound Program
Department: SSEM-TRiO Programs
Locations: Fall River, MA
Posted: May 11, 2023
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part Time Non Benefited
Position ID: 162317
About Bristol Community College:
Bristol Community College is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! Bristol is dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment with a rich diversity of beliefs, cultures, languages, abilities, and lifestyles. Committed to enriching its educational experience through a supportive community, Bristol actively encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply and achieve our vision of advancing a vibrant, diverse community through education, learner by learner. If you share a passion for helping students succeed and enjoy working in a community of innovative, inclusive, and collaborative colleagues, Bristol is the place for you!
As a Commonwealth of Massachusetts employer, Bristol offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability, retirement and paid time off (vacation, personal, sick, and holiday pay). We also offer tuition waiver discounts at the Commonwealth’s public higher education institutions. More information can be found on our http://www.bristolcc.edu/bristolcommunity/facultystaff/humanresources/benefits/.
POSITION TITLE: Non-Credit Instructor – English, Upward Bound Program (part-time, temporary)
DEPARTMENT: TRIO Program/Student Services and Enrollment Management
PRIMARY LOCATION: A college/university (to be determined) located within a 30-mile radius of Bristol’s Fall River Campus
POSITION STATUS: This is a temporary part-time, grant-funded, non-unit, non-benefitted position. The duration of this position is expected to be June 22, 2023 – August 4, 2023, subject to change. Dates include additional orientation and program close-out days. Residency optional.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of the Upward Bound Program.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Upward Bound Program is a federally funded program to assist approximately 77 college-bound high school students who are low income and/or will be the first generation in their families to enter college. The students, who are from Fall River public schools, receive rigorous academic instruction and advisement to prepare for success in college. The Non-Credit Instructor – English provides English composition and literature instruction in a six-week summer program, with an additional week for orientation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and teach college-preparatory classes in English (literature and writing).
• Provide daily tutorial assistance to project participants.
• Prepare written reports and evaluations on student progress.
• Enforce all Upward Bound rules and regulations.
• Assist in supervision at program events and activities.
• Participate in all orientation and final weekend staff meetings and awards ceremony events.
• Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and consistently reflect Bristol’s core values while interacting with members of the Bristol community.
• Focus on the Commonwealth’s Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all required qualifications must be met by date of hire.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in English literature, writing, composition, communications or related field.
• Minimum of two years of experience in secondary school teaching or related area.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of low-income and first-generation youth.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, Zoom, Google, or similar digital platforms.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
• The ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in English literature, writing composition, communications, or related field.
• Ability to use innovative techniques and interactive media technologies to enhance student learning.
• Robust understanding and demonstrated inclusion of best practices focused on access, equity, student success, and high impact practices.
• Ability to communicate in a language in addition to English
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Bristol Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, TitleVII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s Title IX & Equity Compliance Officer, Gia Sanchez at mailto:email@example.com or 774.357.2264; the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination; the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button. The position will be open to applicants until filled. Applications submitted within 10 calendar days of the posting date will receive priority consideration.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4182671
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.